Friday, September 28, 2012

Book review of Frankenstein

Frankenstein was hard to read, I cannot even lie about that.

Why?

Because Victor was complaining about his deplorable situation the entire time. It may have been easier to feel sorry for him if he hadn't PUT HIMSELF IN IT! He created this creature, and then ran away from it and didn't see it for three years. It was like an abandoned baby. Um, why yes! It would have gone bad! Duh!

Abandoned children tend to have issues bonding. Why? Because they HAVE NOT bonded. You have to learn to do things, even bond. If you are not taught, you will not know how.

I feel like the Creature would have had a better chance of fitting into society if Victor had stayed with him and taught him how to be a normal human being, rather than abandoning him for three years and then telling him to go away when he found him. So many things are wrong with that, I don't even know where to start....

The only truly interesting parts involved the Creature telling his story. Yes, the Creature threatened Victor, but he didn't know any other way to not feel lonely. I am convinced of it. He had the human need to bond with another living being. And, at the end, the Creature expressed remorse for the harm he had caused Victor and his family.

I think Shelley meant to make the Creature one we could feel sympathy for, and that we were supposed to feel sympathy for Victor, too. But, she missed the boat on that one. I didn't feel sympathy for Victor. I felt annoyance and utter disgust. Perhaps it has to do with the fact that Tobey abandoned Kiley, and Victor abandoned the Creature. Deadbeat dads are useless in my mind. They waste good space. Victor wasted good space. It's almost as though Shelley was trying to make us feel more sorry for Victor, but I couldn't....

Having said that, I think Victor's initial intentions were good. He wanted people to be able to bring people that they loved back to life, but he also wanted these people to look to him as GOD, so MAYBE his ultimate intentions were selfish...hmmm.

I don't think that Victor should have destroyed the female creature, since he obviously was not going to try to assimilate his "child"- the Creature- into society. It's only fair, and it would help the Creature to fulfill that human need for a mate. Selfish? Possibly. Useful? Yes. I am not always against selfishness. I'm just not. Sometimes, human beings have to be selfish- so long as another is not negatively impacted. I feel strongly about that.

I also think that Shelley imposed too much drama into the story line. I think the book could have done with a little more toning down. Too much drama doesn't make a story believable. Although, if she were not going for believable, she did a good job tying everything together.

As a whole, I did not like the book. I found it to be whiny and overly dramatic. I tried to get into it. I did, but I just couldn't get past the whining. I haven't given up on Shelley yet. I will try to read her other books before I pass judgment on her writing!

1 comment:

  1. I've never sympathized with Victor, and I don't know that Shelley intended us to. I always saw Victor as an egotistical, self-centered prick. His endless whining is part of that.

    I first read the novel when I was 12 years old, when I felt completely alienated from my parents and everyone else. I felt ugly, outcast, rejected, misunderstood. So of course I related to the monster.

    ReplyDelete